Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cultural Context in Design

Image from: http://craftism.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/knitting-all-over/

In the "Kaupapa Maori Design" lecture guest lecturer Tracey Gardner discussed her findings between design, Maori culture and her own cultural background as a designer. Whilst Tracey Gardner was very thorough with her study into the Maori culture, I think the study of the social circumstances as well as the context of designers would have also been relevant. As a designer I would consider the social circumstances surrounding me as I grew up to be of major significance to my perspectives on design. Many of the opinions I have about my own and others work have been influenced by being introduced to arts and crafts at a young age. Throughout my family, I think the values from being of European descent have been translated through the generations through both beliefs and crafts, particularly through the females. Learning crafts has been of high importance, which is particularly relevant to the times my older relatives grew up in, where crafts were considered necessities not hobbies.

Like the Maori weaving and carving, crafts and skills such as sewing and knitting have been passed down to me. From an early age my mother and grandmothers encouraged me to create and explore these crafts and I believe this has made me appreciate the detail and craft of the handmade and in turn changed how I think about design. I think that this is also relevant to the modern Maori artists that Tracey Gardner talked about, as they too would've been encouraged to explore Maori crafts as they grew up, no doubt influenced by their family. The return to traditional crafts indicates the significance of our social circumstances from when we were younger to now, as these skills help to form and reflect on our surrounding culture. The above image shows the combination of craft and social commentary, a skill important to today's designers and our merging cultures. As a designer, I enjoy being able to combine these traditional crafts such as knitting with new and innovative ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment